If you’re in the market for a new home, you should shop for your builder as carefully as you shop for your home. Whether you are buying a condo, a townhouse, a house in a subdivision or a custom-built house, you want to know that you are buying a good quality home from a reputable builder. Here are some tips to help you choose a builder.
Make a List of Possible Builders
Once you have thought about the type of house you want and the area you want to build or buy, you can create a list of potential builders.
- Begin with the Greensboro Builders Association’s online membership directory for a list of residential builders in the area – GreensboroBuilders.org. These builders are making a commitment to their industry through support of their local, state and national trade association. Contact information, including a link to their company website, can be found within this online directory.
- Utilize online sources to become aware of area builders and projects. Builder websites and social media pages can provide access to the types of homes they are building and the prices you can expect to pay.
- Local real estate agents can also be able to help you in your search, especially those with experience and knowledge of new construction.
- Ask friends and relatives for recommendations. Ask about builders they have dealt with directly, or ask them for names of acquaintances who have recently had a good experience with a builder.
- Utilize the annual Parade of Homes – offered in the spring and fall – to meet area builders. These home tours provide a great opportunity to see the quality of a builder’s work firsthand…as well as tour homes in the price range and/or area you want to live.
Do Your Homework
When you’re thinking about buying a new home, selecting the right home builder is a key step in creating the home of your dreams. You should feel comfortable asking a potential home builder every question that you think is important in addition to “How much does it cost?” and “When can we move in?” which are always important to know. You should request references of home owners they have built and/or sold homes to…and talk with those home owners as well about their experience.
Quality and Value
Look at new homes whenever you can. The Parade of Homes, along with open houses sponsored by builders and realtors, are good opportunities to tour homes. When examining a home, look at the quality of the construction features. Inspect the quality of the cabinetry, carpeting, trim work and paint. And continue to ask lots of questions, especially around customized features that you desire in your home.
With today’s historic low interest rates…it’s a great time to purchase a new home…so take advantage of finding the home of your dreams!